Thursday, June 16, 2011

My own musical involvement

Thrice weekly blog post 9 of 15 (only two weeks to go!)

So it turns out that blogger counts drafts as posts. I went through and deleted the ones that never amounted to things, and now this is only the 43rd post on my blog. Sad face.
Oh well. 50 deserved a more proper celebration, anyway.

First things first. This makes me happy.

Second things second. So today I thought I would wrap up unofficial music week on the blog by talking about my involvement with the thing itself.

Growing up, I liked to sing. The parental units made me take piano lessons. I was resistant. I don't like practicing.

In elementary school, I did chorus, which was fun. I played an Arabian dancer in the Nutcracker and an elf in Santa's Holiday Hoedown. We did all-county chorus. Exciting stuff.

Middle school brought band. We had a trombone, since my brother had played it, so my decision was kind of made for me. Not that that was a bad thing, though. Trombones are the best! I was first chair pretty much all through middle school. Got to play with the 8th grade band when I was in 7th grade since they needed a little more bass. I'm cool.

In high school I continued with band, but we added the new task of playing while marching. It threw me for a loop, guys. But I adjusted and greatly enjoyed it. Concert band continued, as well, and I made several honor bands. I did solos and ensembles and jazz band and was generally awesome.

When I moved to MASMC, I got to be a part of the college marching band, which was AWESOME. We were learning new shows every 2 weeks or so, and we played some epic stuff. I greatly enjoyed our Styx show, where we marched as a giant robot and also when we played Rockin Robin and became a rocking chair that rocked back and forth. Good times. We did concert band there, as well. It was odd being a high schooler with a bunch of college kids, but they welcomed me in. The trombones were especially tight - we had green wigs.

At BYU, I did concert band one semester and decided it was not for me. They had way too many people, so I couldn't even play the part that I wanted. They had me on bass trombone. I don't play the bass trombone. Meh. I did sudoku in class and was very glad when the concert was over. I later took the beginning guitar and piano classes, which I enjoyed greatly.

Nowadays, I can't say I've even touched my trombone lately. I should probably fix that, huh? Any ska bands out there looking for a trombonist? I'm still working on guitar and piano, trying hard not to lose everything and to keep improving. Make me play you a song sometime, huh? I had hopes of starting a wizard rock band, but it kind of fell apart. Let me know if you want to start a lame band, huh?

I do have desires to keep learning. I really want to acquire the following: a keytar, an accordion, a tambourine, some egg shakers, a trumpet. My band director in high school told me I have trumpet lips.

So there you go.

Music. I love it. I make it. I live it.

No comments: