Wednesday, June 15, 2011

50th post! or my musical habits

Thrice weekly blog post 8 of 15.

This is my 50th post on the blog. Hooray? Yes. This is a thing for celebrating.

So, yesterday I talked about the musical influences I've had in my life.  Today I think I'll talk more about my listening habits. This is all very interesting to me. I do hope I'm not boring you all.

I listen to music A LOT.

Like, a lot a lot. My last.fm has me at an average of 66 tracks a day. If songs are an average of 4 minutes long, that puts me at 264 minutes, or 4.4 hours. I'd def say that's an underestimate, though. I work 8 hours a day, and a good majority of that time is spent with headphones on, and then when I get home, I usually always have something playing.

I would say my top 5 bands are as follows (in no particular order. please don't ask me to rank them):

  • Relient K
  • They Might Be Giants
  • Ben Folds 
  • lady danville
  • fun.
That was quite hard to pick, guys. 

Here's some more information:
  • Ultimate angry song: "Goodnight Goodnight" by Hot Hot Heat (seriously, this one gets blasted a lot)
  • Dance Party favorites: "Your Love Is My Drug" by Ke$ha and "Paper Planes" by MIA
  • Favorite Sunday music: The Lower Lights: A Hymn Revival
  • When I need to chill the heck out: Death Cab for Cutie, The Weepies
  • Sound like country but are a billion times better than country: The Avett Brothers and Nickel Creek
  • Best recent discovery: Freelance Whales
  • I love J-pop: Greeeen, Arashi, Ikimonogakari, Tegomass
  • For energy and happiness: MIKA
  • Superb Soundtrack: Amelie by Yann Tiersen
  • When I'm feeling down: "Philosophy" by Ben Folds, "Curl Up and Die" by Relient K, "Hovering Sombrero" by They Might Be Giants
  • Sometimes I play this while riding my scooter: "We No Speak Americano" by Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP
  • Best accidental discoveries: Maia Hirasawa, "Velcro" by Single File
  • I love to sing these songs really loud: "Effington" by Ben Folds, "At Least I'm Not As Sad (As I Used To Be)" by fun., "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness, "Inches and Falling" by The Format
  • This reminds me of high school: "Chap Stick, Chapped Lips, and Things Like Chemistry" by Relient K
  • Wizard Rock is the best: Ministry of Magic, The Butterbeer Experience, Harry and the Potters
  • I need to listen to more of: The Decemberists
  • Best road trip songs (it's a tie): "Stick Shifts and Safety Belts" by Cake and "Highway 40" by Brak feat. Freddie Prinze Jr.
  • For cleaning: "The Final Countdown" by Europe
  • I want to learn all the words to: "The Consequence of Sounds" by Regina Spektor
  • Oh, and I love musicals: Into the Woods, Urinetown, Memphis, Hairspray, Cats, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Wicked
  • I wish this song was my life: "President of Antarctica" by Death By Ninjas
  • Airport song (especially ATL): "Terminals" by Relient K
  • Some boy needs to sing these to me some day: "You'll Always Be My Best Friend" by Relient K, "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds, "More Bad Times" by The Presidents of the United States of America
  • If I meet a man boy named Zak, I will instantly propose marriage because of this song: "Zak and Sara" by Ben Folds
I seem to have a lot of songs that are my "go-to" songs. You know? You're feeling a certain way, and you just NEED to hear that song. 

Sometimes I'll just listen to the same song (or a few) on repeat for a while. I remember freshman year at BYU I got the new Relient K single "Must Have Done Something Right." I seriously listened to it for at least a week on repeat. Not sure how my roommate managed to live with me...

So look me up, kids! I'm emmisary on grooveshark and last.fm. I'd love to see what you're listening to! And please, if you have any recommendations or any "go-to" songs you want to share, leave me a comment!

No comments: