Wednesday, March 15, 2017

An attempt at item #74

Which of course is to find out my blood type and donate, if possible.

Our stake had a blood drive this past Saturday, so I thought, perfect opportunity! I'd tried to donate in the past but my iron has always been too low. Doctors confirmed I was anemic and since I've been taking iron supplements, I thought I might stand a chance to donate now.

All was clear and good (yay iron!) and they got me up on the chair and needled. A few minutes into it I started feeling light headed, but I wanted to make a full donation, so they coached me to lift my legs and cough to get the blood flowing. Towards the end my legs started seizing up. My speech slurred and then I couldn't move any part of my body. It was terrifying to say the least.

I'm obviously okay (hello, I'm typing this!), but in all the hubbub I didn't remember to ask about blood typing. I did manage to make a full donation, so I guess I'm technically partially done on this one? I've seen typing kits on Amazon, so I might just take matters into my own hands. Who knows if I'll ever feel up to donating again.

Also, can we just tell my body to stop being such a jerk? My knee is still scabbed from my fall and now I have to deal with super sore legs from them you know, spasming. Heck. Just take it easy, bod.


2 comments:

Colette said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're ok!

As far as blood type... could they do that as part of normal labs at your doctor's office?

Sara P said...

Oh, they probably could! I've had a lot of blood work done recently, but they've never mentioned it. Maybe I'll ask next time. Julie also said they send you a card after donating with your blood type, so I still might get it from the Red Cross!