Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Complete: 24. Read a Newbery Award or Honor book for each year since I was born

I did it! I've read 31 Newbery books for my (almost) 31 years on this planet. My list ends before the 2019 book will be announced, so I'm calling myself done.

Here's what I read with my ratings (thanks, Goodreads!)

Lincoln, a Photobiography by Russell Freedman ★★★★
Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman ★★★★★
Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Fisher Staples ★★
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli ★★★★
Nothing But the Truth by Avi ★★★
Missing May by Cynthia Rylant ★★★★
Dragon's Gate by Laurence Yep ★★★
The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer ★★★★
The Great Fire by Jim Murphy ★★★
The Moorchild by Eloise Jarvis McGraw ★★★★
Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff ★★★
A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck ★★★★
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis ★★★★
Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer ★★★★★
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park ★★★
Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi ★★★★
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo ★★★★★
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko ★★★
Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins ★★★★
The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron ★★
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! by Laura Amy Schlitz ★★★
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt ★★★
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly ★★★★
Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool ★★★★
Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos ★★★
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate ★★
Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo ★★★★★
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander ★★★★
Last Stop of Market Street by Matt De La Pena ★★★★
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill ★★★★★
Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly ★★★★

I wanted to do this because I love kid lit, and some of my very favorite books are Newbery award or honor books (Walk Two Moons, Princess Academy, Ella Enchanted, Catherine, Called Birdy, The View From Saturday, I could go on...). These books are just such quality. Of the 31 I read, there were only 3 I didn't super care for, which is a pretty good ratio, I think.

I tried to read the winner for each year unless I had read it already. I did do some re-reads, as I had already read all the books for some years (Long Way From Chicago, Maniac Magee), but I didn't even mind because they're so good!

I totally want to make a future goal to read through every single one of them, if I can. I'm imagining some of the oldest ones might be hard to find, but at least to read every one that I can. Kids books are just the best.

1 comment:

Emily said...

This is so awesome! I'll be coming to check out this list again for recommendations - I'm glad you put your ratings :D Congrats on finishing another one!