Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Victorian Slum House

Have you seen the House shows on PBS? They take modern people and throw them into the past. There's Colonial House, 1900 House, 1940 House, Manor House, Frontier House (my personal favorite), and Regency House Party, among others.

I discovered that they filmed a new one, Victorian Slum House in 2016 and it's currently available on pbs.org. I'm undertaking the ridiculous task of watching a documentary for every feature film that I watch during the list, and I'm letting each episode of a series count as an individual documentary. We binged 4 episodes on Sunday, so that's 4 feature films canceled out!

This House show is unique in that they take the families through the decades. The first episode is 1860s, and they work their way up to the 1900s. Each episode brings changes, like in the tailor family where they started doing piece work, then had a sweatshop, and eventually opened their own tailor shop. It was harder for other families who didn't have a trade.

I'm slowly getting Hubster caught up on these and we just have a few more series to watch. I think I'm going to let myself count ones I've seen before for the list, because I'm sure I'll still learn things the second time around.

Do you guys have any good documentaries I should watch? Let me know, because I'm going to end up watching a lot of them!

No comments: