Wednesday, June 21, 2017

2017 Best Animated Pictures

Per goal #45, I'm watching every film nominated for Best Animated Picture and this week I finished those nominated for this year's Academy Awards.


  • Kubo and the Two Strings - overall, my favorite. The animation was stunning, and I do have an affinity for origami. I also loved the music - especially the Regina Spektor cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
  • Moana - but I also loved this one! Again, great music - thank you, Lin! But most of all, I loved the story. I loved that Moana was in line to be the chief with no man to qualify that position. I loved that she saved her people and opened up the world to them again. Tears were shed.
  • My Life as a Zucchini  - this one was enjoyable, but in a more subtle way. When his mother dies, Zucchini is sent to live in an orphanage and the movie follows his experiences there. There's some heavy material, but it's treated in a light manner. We watched the making of and saw how they created the models and filmed the dialogue - all the kids were untrained actors, just regular kids - and I really liked that.
  • The Red Turtle - Hands down the worst film on this list, and also a terrible film in general. The animation is beautiful, as Studio Ghibli had a hand in it, but from what I understand, they let the director have free reign on everything else. I think it was supposed to symbolize man's relationship with nature or something, but I didn't find the story gripping. It felt like a short film that was stretched out for a longer run time.
  • Zootopia - I also loved Zootopia. I think it was really close between this, Kubo, and Moana for me, so it's quite alright that Zootopia won. This was probably the funniest of the five, and it had a great message. Also a shout out to Shakira/Gazelle's "Try Everything" - I got chills when Judy was listening to it riding into the city for the first time.

I'm really enjoying this goal - I just wish it was possible to see them all before the Oscars themselves, but some weren't released in the US until after. I had already seen Kubo, Moana, and Zootopia when the list was announced, but I had to wait for Zucchini and The Red Turtle. Many thanks to the Orem Library for their excellent DVD collection that make it possible for me to watch those two.

No comments: