Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Complete: 29. Watch all Studio Ghibli movies in chronological order

I just love Studio Ghibli. Love love love it. I put this on my list hoping I would see the journey of the studio and Miyazaki in particular, and I feel like I did. So many cute creatures, silly airplanes, and strong girls.

I started with Castle of Cagliostro and Nausicaa even though they're not Studio Ghibli, because they're just great. I'm striking The Red Turtle from my memory after watching it for item #45 - it doesn't count as Studio Ghibli to me. I didn't want to watch it again. I never want to watch it again.

I don't think I can rank these films because I'd have like 5 #1 picks, so I'll just break it down into the best, the good, and the okay.

The best:

  • Spirited Away
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Only Yesterday
  • Nausicaa
  • The Cat Returns
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Ponyo
The good:
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Castle in the Sky
  • On Your Mark
  • Princess Mononoke
  • My Neighbors the Yamadas
  • Arietty
  • From Up on Poppy Hill
  • The Wind Rises
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • When Marnie Was There
The okay:
  • Pom Poko
Actually there's a fourth category, the terrible - stay far away from these:
  • Ocean Waves
  • Tales from Earthsea
With that, I've finished 20 items on my list! This month will be busy, but I'll have lots more to report soon!

No comments: