Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Complete: 32. French "Fryday" blogposts for 3 months + 43. Read a biography of each President of the church + 55. No complaining for 1 week

Heck y'all! 3 more done this week!

If you follow me on instagram, you've seen my #frenchfryday posts. It has been glorious to have a reason to go eat fries, let me tell you. I wanted to do a more in depth analysis and scoring system, but it just wasn't going to happen. Maybe in the future! I also want to do a frozen fry cookoff and find the best frozen brands, hahaha.
Best fries of the project were the nori fries from Katsu Burger in Seattle, the monster fries from EZ's Wenatchee, and the fresh fries we got from local potatoes (I assume?) at our agricultural parade.

I have read 17 biographies of presidents of the church. Some were really good, but some fall into the trap of not trying to be good books because they know they're going to sell no matter what.  I suffered through some pretty mediocre writing, as well as some pretty prophet-worshippy books. I liked the ones that actually treated them like human beings better. It's more interesting to read about their humanity than to pretend they can't do any wrong. I was reading backwards in time, hoping to finish on Joseph Smith, but I had to add Russell M. Nelson in last minute. His book was a bit outdated, as quite a bit has happened since it was written, but it's the only one that's been published. It was very long and not always about him? It was also poorly organized - they jumped around in time instead of telling everything chronologically, which is weird for a biography.
My favorites I read were No Man Knows My History (I know, I know - anti-TCoJCoLDS lit), Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet, and David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. They felt more complete than others (*cough* published by Deseret Book).

I decided to change my no complaining week to a month of positive self-talk. I read What to Say When You Talk to Yourself by Shad Helmstetter and decided being nicer to myself might be better than beating myself up for a weak when I slipped up and complained. I think overall, this was much better for me to do. I found a positive self-talk video on youtube and just made sure to play it everyday for the 30 days. Mr. Helmstetter says it doesn't even matter if you listen to it with your full attention - as long as it's playing it will help. It seems kind of hokey, but I think it did help me have  a better attitude, and really helped me focus on working hard as I wind up my list. Now that I'm finished with it, I kind of miss hearing it. I might just have to start it again tomorrow.  :)

Welp, that brings me up to 67 items done! I am almost on par with my first 101 list, and hopefully I will soon surpass 101 List Redux!

No comments: